9.10.2008

A Glimpse of Jesus in Cobbler


These past two months in the land where everything grows so lusciously and abundantly have brought so much joy and worship in my heart. All of nature seems to be proclaiming the glory of God and communicating His goodness. Oh how He lavishes His love upon us!

The weather is not always stable here in Hamburg. In fact you can predict it to be unpredictable and more on the rainy side than anything. A glorious moment, is when the weather is forecast for rain the whole weekend--therefore also cold-- but God decides He wants it to be sunny and warm instead. These moments melt my heart into praise and awe for our Creator.

Speaking of melting, nothing melts more heavenly than a great scoop of vanilla ice cream from the warm oozing yumminess of a cobbler. Making cobbler this summer has soothed me with such southern comforts of home. The reward in the end is indescribable from a long fought journey. There is nothing like going to your own backyard to pick your own fresh berries, but even then nature is wild and puts up a fight. There is this plant by blackberry bushes that is kind of like a stinging nettle, but it stings far worse! This malicious plant always stings me and of course the thorns from the bush itself dig into your clothes, trying to hold you captive as you steal its treasure.

I have come to pin these words about berry picking, blackberries specifically: "Blackberry picking is like fighting nature, demanding that she yields her delicious treasure to me. In the end of my battle, I come out scratched and bleeding, but I find it worth the fight, in that I behold something that brings me much greater joy in the end."

Sitting outside with a bowl of warm homemade cobbler and giant scoop of vanilla ice cream while the sun shines on me and a slight breeze sweeps by is such a God exalting moment for me--it is a moment that says it couldn't get any better than this. I know all is right in the world at that moment--it's a glimpse of Jesus.


How wonderful is God that He would choose to communicate His love to me in something so simple as a fresh summer dessert!

2 comments:

Susan said...

Man girl! God has gifted you with great writing!! I love to read your blog. I'll never look at blackberries the same.
Miss you too!
Susan

For the Restoration of Life and Soul . . . life-rest-soul.com said...

Hey, thanks a lot, Caroline. That's just what a struggling-to-stay-on-the-diet diabetic needs: beautiful, artistic writing about cobbler and vanilla ice cream and their connection to God, and pictures, to boot. I just hope I can sell that at my next appointment: "sorry about my weight, doc, but I've been spending a lot of time with God."

In all seriousness, you do write and think beautifully.